Summer is finally coming! (Even if it doesn’t feel like it.)
This post may contain affiliate links, Cedar Rapids Moms may earn a small commission if you purchase using these links. Thank you for supporting CR Moms!
More families are heading out on the road for a summer vacation so I wanted to share my favorite things to pack for that long drive. I’m also going share a few ways to keep your kids entertained.
I’ll be driving to Florida with my 5-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son this summer. We’ll need to be prepared if we are going to survive the 16-hour drive.
Here are some of my favorite purchases:
- Kids Travel Tray– The kids will want to snack, color, watch a tablet, or play. A travel tray will give them a surface to do this.
- Cooler for van– My kids love to be in charge of handing out drinks and snacks. My son will have a nice little cooler with cup holders and a surface for his stuff.
- Toiletry bag– Each kid will have a small bag for their books, toys, snacks, colors, gum, and anything else they want with them. Since it’s small, they can keep it near them, and we can avoid them wanting too many things.
- Cord organizer– Although I want to avoid too much screen time, it is inevitable. I got a nice bag to keep our electronics and cords safe and organized.
- Doodle Board– My daughter loves to draw, but if we bring too many coloring books, everyone we meet along the way will end up with several of her drawings. With a doodle board, she can draw, erase, and draw again.
- Car garbage can– This will keep the car neat and clean.
Here are a few of our favorite road games and toys:
- Car Bingo– This keeps kids off tablets and looking at the world around them.
- Mad Libs– The whole family can laugh at the ridiculous stories you come up with.
- Would you rather?- Get to know your family and laugh at the crazy questions.
- License plate game- Again, this will keep your kids off tablets and looking around. Plus, you can include some fun trivia about the states you find.
- Games on the go– It’s hard as a mom to be the one to make up games, this will give you new game ideas for your kids.
- A binder of printables centered around the states we will be driving through
- The quiet game- I’m not ashamed to admit, this is one of my favorite car games. I may try this one a few times.
- A map of the journey where children can follow along.
- A list of the things you are going to do when you get to your destination.
Here are a few things I will pack in my bag:
- A book
- Plenty of baby wipes
- First aid kit
- Road trip playlist
- Travel journal
These are my must haves for the beach:
- Beach blanket
- Sunglasses for everyone
- Hats for everyone
- Beach cart
- Life jackets
- Swim shoes
- Sand toys
- Beach umbrella
- Waterproof phone case
- Hooded towels
Let me know your favorite must haves for your road trips!
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms’ events and promotions!!