The summer days are waning and our children will soon return to school.
With this change in routine, we can also expect a little more rigidity in our daily lives. So, while we still have the flexibility and benefit of longer daylight hours, get out and enjoy some of the local summer activities our state has to offer.
Here are a few of our favorite summer fun activities:
Float trips: Family or adult-only options alike!
- While there are many options for this activity, having grown up on the Mississippi, I’m somewhat impartial to offerings near my stomping grounds. These options are not in our immediate surroundings but are close enough to be easily accomplished in a day outing. And, both options below come highly rated.
- Le Claire, IA
- Dubuque, IA
- If you only have a few hours and need to stick close to home, our local pools have been up and running all summer. NOTE: Be sure to check the city websites to be confident day/hour selections align with hours of operation, as some locations have run into staffing shortages.
- Marion, IA
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- You may also consider traveling to a smaller community for new scenery. Sometimes mixing it up is all it takes to drill up a little excitement!
Bike/Scooter/Motorized Bike Rentals
- This is an easy, yet unique way to get your older kiddos out of the house, enjoying some fresh air, and possibly even support a few local businesses while out on your excursions.
- Cedar Rapids, IA now offers all three!
And, if all of these ideas are still not enough to excite your kids, try a “Yes Day”. But before you put that offer on the table, I recommend having parameters in place. Or, speaking from experience, you might end up backpedaling before you even begin.
So far this summer, we’ve enjoyed having the chance to knock a few off our list, but still have a couple of others we look forward to squeezing in these last few weeks of summer fun vacation.
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms events and promotions!!