It’s warming up and I can no longer use the excuse “it’s too cold” to huddle into my couch at 6 PM every night. My kids are getting restless and I can’t watch anymore Henry Danger episodes. But depending on the day, my mood, and how much money we have, I’ve forgotten all the cool things there are to do around here.
So here is my list of things to do this Spring:
Things to do that cost less than $20:
- Ice Skating @ Coral Ridge Mall
- $5 Kids movie at a theatre near you
- Zoos around the area – check out the recent CRMoms post here
- Make a cement handprint stone
- Pick a plant or flowers for them to tend – tomatoes in a pot or a special flower
- $5 at Target to get new outdoor toys
- Coffee shop date – Try a Steamer! Warm Milk & flavors for kids
- Grab breakfast before school
- Buy small canvases and paint on an easel
- Ice Cream date – but they have to try something new!
- Try a new recipe – Let them pick, then head to the store
Things to do this Spring for free:
- Find a local hiking trail
- Check out the Raptor Center in Solon
- Make a library trip – some libraries have different practices now – double-check COVID restrictions
- Bike Rides – pack that phone and play music while you ride
- Scavenger Hunts – this can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it
- Visit Fossil Gorge at the Coralville Reservoir
- Pick up a bag of trash – this time of year it’s everywhere!
- Virtual storytimes at your local library
- There are some great playgrounds around the area – This post has a great list!
- Go Fishing at a local pond
- Check out this post on local parks around the area to have a picnic lunch
- Explore a cave – Check out our post here that tells you more!
- Event guides on Facebook have local activities to attend that change on season or holidays
Things to do at home:
- Cardboard paint shop – you know all those Amazon boxes? Break them apart and let your kids paint whatever they want
- Make foam soap and do a carwash with toys
- Paint Rocks
- Double points: Take your painted rocks for a walk and hide them for others to find
- Build a fort with twinkle lights
- Drive-in movie in your house ( ie. Laundry hampers with pillows and blankets parked in front of the TV)
- If you have a Peloton App – Fit Family Brain Break workouts that are fun for the kids
- Sort your toys – Pick some and put them away for a few months, then cycle through the bins
- Balloon Volleyball
- Water Pong at the kitchen table – Reusable cups in a triangle, then use Wiffle balls, ping pong balls, or something similar (we used Nerf gun pellets) – it’s innocent, I swear!
- Make activity stations at each square on your driveway – 5 jumping jacks, balance on a straight line, make a body imprint and have them do pushups…until they loop back around to the start
- Go Noodle dance videos or Youtube Yoga!
What other fun things to do this Spring would you add to the list?
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms events and promotions!!