School is getting ready to start and I don’t know about you, but mornings can get pretty crazy around here! Doing my girls’ hair is the last thing I want to be worrying about as we’re trying to get out the door! That’s why our team has put together a list of our tried-and-true hair products and 10 quick and easy hairstyles to help make your daughter’s back to school hairstyle the easiest thing on your to-do list!!
Check out our Facebook Live to get the in-depth details! In a hurry? Scroll down for the cliff notes and hairstyle photos!!
Tried and True Hair Products for Kids
Our Cedar Rapids Moms Blog team has put together a list of some of our favorite hair products for kids! (*FYI: This list includes some Amazon affiliate links, which means we get a little bonus if you buy from that link. This list is not sponsored…these are all products we use and love and most of them you can also find at Walmart or Target!)
- Wet Brush (single or 2 pack). Almost everyone on our team owns at least one of these! They work great on all types of hair and are great for getting out tangles!!
- Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Conditioning Spray and Shampoo & Conditioner. The last thing any mom wants brought home from school is lice!! Fairy Tales claims to help repel lice (although we can’t offer any guarantees, it does give us some peace of mind and smells good). Many of us use the conditioning spray and you can also pick up the shampoo & conditioner!
- Conditioner. Using a conditioner after shampooing really helps cut down on tangles, which means fewer tears while getting ready in the morning! Everyone’s hair is different, so sometimes it takes a bit of time to find the one that will work best for you! Also, if your child’s hair tends to get greasy, be sure to just condition the bottom 2/3 and not the roots!
- Headbands. Headbands can dress up a pony tail or keep hair out of kids’ faces when it’s down. They also work great for hiding greasy roots and making the transition smooth from class to athletic practice or gym!
- Bobby Pins. Bobby pins work great for pinning up buns and helping to tame fly-aways! Find some that match your girl’s hair color or use colored ones to add some flair!
- Hair Ties. Little elastics work well for toddler and fine hair. Bigger elastics work better for older girls and thick hair. Just like bobby pins, you can find some that match their hair color or use colored ones to match an outfit or make a statement! We’ve also heard scrunchies are back in, but are split on whether or not we’re fans of that comeback. 😉
- Bun Maker. Our Contributor, Meredith, has us all hooked on this bun maker donut!! Super easy and adorable! And she says it only takes 5 minutes to do (with a preschooler)!!
- Topsy Tail tool. Did anybody else rock the topsy tail when they were a kid? It’s back! And you can do it super easily with this topsy tail tool! There’s also this one that comes with two sizes!
- Fine tooth teasing comb. This fine tooth teasing comb is great for teasing the hair and giving it some volume. The long handle is also handy to use when french braiding!
10 Quick & Easy Back to School Hairstyles for Kids
- Dutch Braid (YouTube video here)
- Side ponytail with a braid
- Half up with a twist
- Bun using the bun maker donut (YouTube video here)
- Braided bun
- Multilayer pigtails (great for fine hair!)
- French braid into a ponytail
- Topsy Tail using the topsy tail tool
- Braids into a ponytail
- French braided pigtails
- BONUS: Wavy hair after taking out french braided pigtails
We hope this post inspires you and helps to make your back to school routine a little quicker and easier!! XOXO!
*These YouTube tutorials are not our own…they’re just ones we found helpful!
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive CRMB posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms Blog events and promotions!!