School is almost here, and my last baby is heading off to kindergarten.
Although she went to preschool, kindergarten feels like a whole new thing for her. This will be her first time at school all day and there will be more learning. I’m excited for her to experience new things at school. I’ve spent the summer trying to prepare her for the new school year ahead.
Here are some ways I’ve worked to prepare her:
Talking about what to expect
Whether your child is going to school for the first time or if they’ve been to preschool, the first day of a new year can always be scary.
I like to use the time leading up to school to talk about things they can expect and thing that will be expected of them.
We have been talking about:
- Rules about how to behave on the bus, lunchroom, hallways, and classroom
- The school day schedule (if you already have it)
- Reminders about manners (saying please and thank you, not interrupting, and using inside voices)
- What will happen when school is done? (Will they ride the bus, walk home, or be picked up? If they are being picked up, who is picking them up?)
- How to be a kind friend
- Any worries they have about school
Teachers have a lot to do during the day. Teaching kids to help themselves when they can, will leave more time for learning and play.
Some skills we have been working on:
- Putting on and zipping a coat
- Getting a tissue and blowing nose
- Tying shoes
- Washing hands
- Buttoning pants
- Opening drinks and snacks
- Packing backpacks
Things to know
Children learn a lot during their year in kindergarten, but I wanted to take some time this summer to work on some things with my daughter before school starts.
Here are some things I wanted her to know before kindergarten:
- How to count to 20
- How to identify numbers
- How to identify and write the alphabet
- How to write name
- How to make and continue patterns
Here are some other good things to know before heading off to school:
- Your address
- Phone number
- Mom and dads’ name
Other ways to prepare
- Reading books about school
- Celebrating the end of summer
- Have a party
- One more trip to the pool
- Movie and game night
- Let your child help with school supplies
- Talk about all the new things they will get to learn and experience in kindergarten
I can’t wait to hear from you about all the ways you and your children are preparing for the first day of kindergarten.
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms’ events and promotions!