Summer is finally here … and so are Farmers’ Markets!
With the changing seasons, we’re set to see the return of many local events, including the well-reputed Cedar Rapids Downtown Farmers’ Market, which is a crowd-pleaser in our home.
For many residents, last summer simply wasn’t the same without the array of options we typically have to support our local farmers, artisans, and vendors. Having lived in the corridor for more than 20 years, attending at least one of the scheduled dates on the seasonal lineup had become part of our warm-weathered routine.
Here are the details for all your local farmer’s markets:
Cedar Rapids Downtown Farmers’ Market
Known for its big-city vibe, the Downtown Famers’ Market creates space for attendees to enjoy coming together as a community to partake in hand-picking fresh produce, flowers, and meats, browsing works by local artists, crossing paths with a new treasure for your yard, snagging a slice of your favorite pizza, and maybe even trying your hand (and feet!) on a rock-climbing wall. The market features the following (plus many more):
- Fresh Produce
- Allen’s Orchard; Over the Moon Farm & Flowers; Pickle Creek Herbs; Nielson’s Honey Farm; J & L Farms
- Doty Angus Cattle Company; Rehberg’s Pork
- Grazing Goat Dairy, LLC; Frisian Farms Cheese
- Prepared Food
- Almost Famous Popcorn; Aroma Artisan Pizza; Great Harvest Bread Company; One More Bite; O’s Grill
- Baked Goods
- Brother Sister Bakery; Who’s Barking Now; French Pastry by Sandrine
- Barn Wood Candle Company; “U”‘ve Been Framed; Oh, For Craft’s Sake; Uniquely Crafts LLC, Sherpa Organics
- Ackerman Winery – Fireside Winery; Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery; Dubuque Heritage Winery
Market organizers are currently accepting entertainment applications. During past events, attendees enjoyed music performances, kids’ activities, and other special activities. Given the track record, I have full confidence this year’s lineup will not disappoint. Stay tuned for these updates, as I’m sure we will see exciting announcements soon.
With a record attendance of 50,000+ in 2019, city officials are still in discussions around ways to safely execute Market After Dark.
For event dates, times and to view the complete list of vendors, cruise over to the website.
If the larger crowds are not your “thing” — no problem! We have the benefit of living in a large enough area to support multiple venues. A few of our other favorites:
Marion Farmers Market at Taube Park
- Location: 2200 31st Street
- Dates: Every Saturday, May 1-September 25
- Time: 8-11 a.m.
- Attendees are able to purchase locally grown produce, fresh baked goods, as well as handmade crafts.
Uptown Marion Market
- Location: corner of 8th Avenue and 12th Street.
- Dates: June 12 | July 10 | August 14 | Sept 25
- Time: 8am-Noon (8am-1pm in September)
- Historically held in City Square Park, the Uptown and Fall Marion Markets offer fresh produce, baked goods, flowers, Iowa wines, and a wide variety of artisan items – all from local vendors. Grab a bite to eat in the Uptown and enjoy live entertainment from some of the area’s finest musicians.
Hiawatha Farmers’ Market at Guthridge Park
- Location: 10th Avenue Parking Lot
- Dates: Every Sunday, May 2-October 31
- Time: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- A variety of vendors showcase fresh produce, eggs, baked goods, honey, flowers, handcrafts, and desserts.
Noelridge Farmers’ Market
- Location: Noelridge Park Market, 4900 Council Street NE
Corner of Collins Road and Council Street NE
- Dates: May 3 – October 15, 2021: Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays (except 5/31 and 9/6)
- Time: 3:30 – 5:30 PM
- Vendors lease stalls from the City to sell fruits, vegetables, meats, and crafts to local consumers.
Mt. Vernon Farmers’ Market
- Location: First Street Community Center Front Lawn – Mount Vernon, Iowa
- Dates: Each Thursday through Sept 30
- Time: 4:00-6:00 PM
- The products offered at the Mount Vernon Summer Farmers’ Market are raised, produced, or created in Mount Vernon and the surrounding community.
- Seasonal produce
- Baked goods
- Handmade jewelry
- Locally produced meat
- Fruit jams and jellies
- And more!
Did we miss your favorite farmers’ market? Let us know so we can add it in!
Grab your calendar and pencil in a few of these fantastic community offerings and enjoy one of the best aspects of summer in the Corridor!
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms events and promotions!!