My son hates going to stores. Just one mention of the word “errands” and he turns into a stomping, muttering, angry-faced dragon of a boy.
I should mention that he’s nine years old.
Still, somewhere along the way, I discovered a little secret. This boy doesn’t mind going to stores at all if he goes alone with one of us parents.
My son is a different child when he’s away from his siblings. He opens up, gets his nose out of his books, and will even pitch in and help with work he normally complains about.
Spending one-on-one time with you children is crucial in building your relationships. There is no better way to truly get to know what’s going on in their lives and in their hearts. I think as moms, it tends to be easier to find ways to spend time alone with our daughters, as they often like the same things we do.
I find that mother/son dates take a little more creativity. So, today I’ve put together some ideas of things you can do around town with your little man, just the two of you! Even better, these Mom and son date ideas will work with sons of all ages!
1. Be Active
My son loves to play, but thinks he’s too old for playgrounds (most of the time). Luckily, there are a lot of a fun venues around town that help us both burn off some energy (and help mom burn some calories!)
- AirFX Trampoline Park
- SkyZone Trampoline Park
- Super Skate
- The Playstation (great for kids around 10 and under)
- Cedar Rapids Bowling Center
- Speedeez Indoor Electric Kart Racing
- Picnic, go fishing, or fly kites at a local park
- Go for a hike or bike ride on one of our city’s great trails
- Hit up a pool, splash pad, or beach (and actually get in, mom!)
2. Catch a Game
If your son is into sports, there are ample opportunities to see a great game around town. Some of our favorites are:
- Cedar Rapids Kernels (Minor league baseball)
- Cedar Rapids Titans (Indoor Football)
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (Minor league hockey)
- Cedar Rapids Rampage (Soccer)
- Iowa Hawkeyes (All sports)
3. Go out for a Treat
My boys could eat ice cream outside even when it’s -30! We love to grab a treat and just chat. It’s a great opportunity to put away the phone and find out what’s new in your son’s life.
- Parlor City Ice Cream
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt
- Great American Popcorn Co (also has ice cream and fudge)
- Dairy Queen
- Panera (cookies and treats)
4. Take a Drive
If you have an afternoon or a whole day to spend together, why not take a day trip and do something out of town? We have enjoyed the following places so far in our short time here:
- Field of Dreams (Dyersville)
- National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium (Dubuque)
- Ushers Ferry (Here in town!)
- Iowa City Children’s Museum
- Historic Nauvoo (Nauvoo, IL)
Honestly, my son’s favorite thing to do is go out for Panda Express, since none of his siblings are fans. Any activity that ends with some Orange Chicken is a win in his eyes!
I hope you’re inspired with some new ideas for spending time one-on-one with your son!
What suggestions would you add? What are some of your favorite Mom and son dates in Cedar Rapids? Let us know in the comments below!
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive CRMB posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms Blog events and promotions!!